West Cemetery Chapel and Lodge
This record is not yet complete. We plan to visit this site in the near future and will update this record once our research is complete.
With chapels and a lodge designed by James Pigott Pritchett (and grounds laid out by Mr Joseph Bowker of Scarborough), the cemetery site was opened in 1858 - there is some suspicion that the chapel and lodge buildings may in fact be by Pritchett & Sons (or Pritchett Junior) and this will need confirming.
'The cemetery lodge is in mock-Jacobean style, built in red brick with stone detailing and a steeply pitched, fishtailed, roof of Welsh slate, stands immediately inside the cemetery entrance on the north side. Most of the building is currently occupied for residential use and part is used as a cemetery office (2003)'.
'The cemetery chapels in Decorated Gothic style, built in stone with steeply pitched, fishtailed roofs of Welsh slate, are situated on an elevated terrace, 100m north-west of the main entrance. The west chapel, formerly the Nonconformist chapel, is connected to an identical east chapel, the Anglican chapel, by a central carriage arch or porte-cochère above which is an octagonal bell tower surmounted by a spire, which has been altered from the original'.