Emmanuel Church


Windsor Road, Saltburn-by-the-Sea, North Yorkshire

In 1867 Pritchett of Darlington began work on Emmanual Church at Saltburn. The result is a cavernous building, with a deceivingly plain exterior. The interior opens up into a highly decorative gothic nave with a high roof and robust piers topped with Corinthian capitals.

The finished building incorporates a lengthy chancel with a short north-east tower nestling in the corner of the transept, its original purpose possibly an unfinished bell tower. A contemporary sketch shows this tower at full height with an impressive spire but whether the tower and spire were ever completed is not known. The west tower was added in 1898 and erected by William Pitts & Son of Leeds. 

The architectural drawings are signed 'Pritchett & Son' but the entire church is likely to have been designed entirely by Pritchett Jnr.


  • Emmanuel Church Saltburn by the Sea - Graham White 2022
    Image: Emmanuel Church Saltburn by the Sea - Graham White 2022


  • Emmanuel Church Saltburn by the Sea - Graham White 2022
    Image: Emmanuel Church Saltburn by the Sea - Graham White 2022