Huddersfield Town Hall

St. Luke's Church Pallion, Sunderland

Hillhouse Congregational Church

Mansfield Cemetery

Mansfield Cemetery

Mansfield Cemetery

This record is not yet complete. We plan to visit this site in the near future and will update this record once our research is complete.

Mansfield Cemetery was opened in 1857. The buildings were designed by J P Pritchett & Sons and the Mansfield architect C J Neale designed the cemetery layout.

Boston Cemetery Chapel

Boston Cemetery Chapel

Boston Cemetery Chapel

'The main Boston town cemetery, laid out by J P Pritchett (possibly with his son) for the Burial Board in 1854.'

The layout of the cemetery, lodge and Anglican chapel remain intact, though the nonconformist chapel was demolished in 1961.

 

Emmanuel Church Saltburn-by-the-Sea

Emmanuel Church Saltburn-by-the-Sea

Emmanuel Church Saltburn-by-the-Sea

This record is not yet complete. We plan to visit this site in the near future and will update this record once our research is complete.

In 1867 Pritchett began work on Emmanual Church at Saltburn. His initial designs suggest a preaching-box layout with a north transept. The finished building incorporates an extended chancel, a short north-east tower nestling in the corner of the transept and chancel, and a west tower added in 1898 and built by William Pitts & Son of Leeds. 

Saltmarshe Hall

Saltmarshe Hall

Saltmarshe Hall

This record is not yet complete. We plan to visit this site in the near future and will update this record once our research is complete.

From Pevsner & Neave (2nd edition reprint, 1995): The Buildings of England. Yorkshire: York and the East Riding:

Weaste Cemetery, Salford

Weaste Cemetery, Salford

Weaste Cemetery, Salford

This record is not yet complete. We plan to visit this site in the near future and will update this record once our research is complete.

'The layout of the cemetery survives substantially intact, but all associated structures apart from the lodge (Pritchett, 1856) have been lost.'

From Historic England listing:

St James's church Meltham Mills

Yorkshire Museum

Yorkshire Museum

Yorkshire Museum

Built under the direction of architect William Wilkins, the neo-classical Yorkshire Museum was built for the Yorkshire Philosophical Society and completed in 1830. Pritchett was employed to install the interior appointments.

St. Mary's Church Greasbrough South Yorkshire

Huddersfield College

Huddersfield College

Huddersfield College

Huddersfield College was completed in 1840, echoing his 'Tudor' designs for St. Peter's School in York but with a crenellated central hall elevated above the rest of the building in the style of a fortified "castle keep". It was more recently used as a community centre.

In September 2020 the building appeared abandoned and 'for sale' with the ground-floor windows boarded.

The college's most famous student was British statesman and Liberal politician who served as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1908 to 1916.

The Retreat, York

Parliament Street York

Parliament Street York

Parliament Street. York

This record is not yet complete. We plan to visit this site in the near future and will update this record once our research is complete.

1833-1840. Pritchett (as Pritchett & Watson?) was involved in the development of this major York street. In 1833 he came second in a best plan for new market place, winning £20. Pickersgill and Oates (who redesigned St Deny's (Walmgate) new west tower) won £30 for first place. 

St. Peter's Church Brafferton

Lady Sarah Hewley's Almshouses

Minster Yard No. 8-9 & No.s 48 + 50, Low Petergate

High Petergate. No. 24-36 & No. 1 Precentor's Court

High Petergate. No. 24-36 & No. 1 Precentor's Court

High Petergate. No. 24-36  & No. 1 Precentor's Court

From Historic England listing: 

Terrace of 7 houses, originally including a coffee house; now including public house and cafe. 1838, incorporating early C18 house at each end (No.24 High Petergate and No.1 Precentor's Court); coffee house converted to public house c1855; other later alterations, and C20 shopfront to Nos 30 and 32. By J. P. Pritchett.

Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel

Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel

Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel

Ebenezer Chapel opened in 1851 and designed by J. P. Pritchett. The chapel replaced the Grape Lane Primitive Methodist Chapel, which was sold.

The chapel on Little Stonegate was the principal chapel within the York Circuit of the Primitive Methodist Connexion until 1883 when the Circuit split into two and it became the principal chapel of the First Circuit, renamed the Monkgate Circuit after 1903.

Purey-Cust Chambers, Deans Park

Bootham Park Hospital

Bootham Park Hospital

Bootham Park Hospital

County Lunatic Asylum. Built in 1773-77 by John Carr of York; with separate building c1788-96. Pritchett & Watson designed the long north-east range.

From Historic England listing:

The long north-east range was built for female patients in 1817 to designs by the York-based architects Charles Watson and James Pigott Pritchett. The upper floors were carried on a fire-proof construction of arched brickwork spanning between iron beams. The original front building was then used only for male patients.

 

West Riding Pauper Lunatic Asylum (Stanley Royd Hospital)

West Riding Pauper Lunatic Asylum (Stanley Royd Hospital)

Two parts of the West Riding Asylum as built by Watson & Pritchett are Grade II listed: (1) the eastern part of the main range and (2) the former ventilating tower.

From the Historic England listing: 

Pauper lunatic asylum, now mental hospital. 1818 with wings added 1828 and 1833, by Watson and Pritchett of York for the West Riding County Council; later C19 and C20 alterations and additions. 

Much more work to discern the full scope of Watson & Pritchett's work here is needed.

Wakefield Library and News Room

Wakefield Library and News Room

Wakefield Library and News Room

1820-22 by Watson and Pritchett. Variously known, but also as the Mechanics Institute. Formerly the City Museum until very recently. Now known as the Mechanics Theatre.

From 'Guide To Selected Historical Buildings In Wakefield' by Wakefield Historical Society (accessed 21.01.2021): 

Elland Congregational Chapel

Elland Congregational Chapel

Elland Congregational Chapel

This record is not yet complete. We plan to visit this site in the near future and will update this record once our research is complete.

From Stell, C. (1994) Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England : an Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in the North of England. London: H.M.S.O:

Selby Congregational Chapel

Selby Congregational Chapel

Selby Congregational Chapel

The chapel was opened in 1809 as a Congregational body, also commonly referred to as the Bethesda chapel.

A major renovation designed in 1865-66 by Pritchett & Sons produced the current facade with its rose window. It now is used as King Church Selby.

The building is said to have been listed as Grade II in the 1970's but this does not seem to appear in the listing records. 

Gateshead Congregational Chapel

Knaresborough Congregational Church

Bingley Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Bingley Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Bingley Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

This record is not yet complete. We plan to visit this site in the near future and will update this record once our research is complete.

The church had a gothic north west tower and spire. Built in 1874 by J P Pritchett (son) of Darlington. The foundation stone for the former building was laid on 4 November 1871 and the official opening was on 23 September 1874.

Hanover Square Leeds

York Assembly Rooms

York Assembly Rooms

York Assembly Rooms

Pritchett designed the new facade to Lord Burlington's Assembly Rooms in Blake Street in York. Lord Burlington had originally completed the assembly rooms in 1730. The portico and frontage in 1828.

New Lendal Congregational Church York

New Lendal Congregational Church York

New Lendal Congregational Church York

Pritchett's designs for the chapel must have been a direct influence of his religion and reflected his own position as the superintendent of the Congregationalist denomination in York. Lendal Chapel was completed in 1816 but it was not until 1826 when an extension was added to the rear elevation, incorporating an apse extending from the basement level all the way to the second floor*.

*Dr Duncan Marks, York (2015)

 

 

The following was written by Dr Philippa Hoskin, 2000

Kirkby Stephen Congregational Chapel

Kirkby Stephen Congregational Chapel

Kirkby Stephen Congregational Chapel

This record is not yet complete. We plan to visit this site in the near future and will update this record once our research is complete.

Built in c1865. Initially Congregational, then Roman Catholic, before changing to a secular use. As of 2020 the former Congregational Church had now become Kirkby Stephen Evangelical Church.

Huddersfield Railway Station

St. Peter's Church Huddersfield

St. Peter's Church Huddersfield

St. Peter's Church Huddersfield

St. Peter's church was rebuilt to a design by Pritchett, completed in 1836, replacing the former church on this site which had become structurally unstable. The building contains stained glass by Thomas Willement, installed in 1852. As part of the re-ordering of the chancel between 1921 and 1923, Ninian Comper designed the baldachin and the east window.

Lambeth Palace Library keeps in its collection Pritchett's drawings for the ground and gallery levels (see external links to the right)

Yorkshire Savings Bank

York Cemetery Chapel

York Minster Song School

York Minster Song School

York Minster Song School

A plain Gothic building designed initially for St. Peter's School, which in turn served as the Design School and the Minster Song School. One of Pritchett's gothic buildings in a style to be complemented by his other buildings in Minster Yard, including the Consistory Court and Numbers 8-9 and 48+50 Petergate.

The school continued in use until 2020 when financial support from the Dean and Chapter of York Minster ceased.