Saffron Walden Cemetery


Radwinter Road, Saffron Walden, Essex

After the Burial Act 1854 was adopted in Saffron Walden and the parish vestry created a Burial Board in 1855, tenders were invited for the layout of a new cemetery. Land was acquired by the Board in Sewers End Road, now Radwinter Road.

Pritchett's designs were chosen for the chapel, lodge and perimeter walls, all of which are built with Kentish rag with Caen stone dressings and constructed by Messrs. Grainger and Wright of Saffron Walden. Two chapels were originally erected but the Nonconformist building was demolished in the 1990s.

The layout of the cemetery was by William Chater, of the Saffron Walden nurseries and the cemetery was opened early in 1857, with the consecration ceremony led by the Bishop of Rochester in December 1856.


  • Saffron Walden Cemetery - Graham White (2022)
    Image: Saffron Walden Cemetery - Graham White (2022)


  • Saffron Walden Cemetery - Graham White (2022)
    Image: Saffron Walden Cemetery - Graham White (2022)


  • Saffron Walden Cemetery - Graham White (2022)
    Image: Saffron Walden Cemetery - Graham White (2022)


  • Saffron Walden Cemetery - Graham White (2022)
    Image: Saffron Walden Cemetery - Graham White (2022)


  • Saffron Walden Cemetery - Postcard (Saffron Walden Library courtesy Jacqueline Cooper)
    Image: Saffron Walden Cemetery - Postcard (Saffron Walden Library courtesy Jacqueline Cooper)