St. Mary's Church


Church Street, Greasborough, Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Completed in 1828 to designs by J P Pritchett & Charles Watson of York, this is a voluminous preaching box, sympathetic to the liturgy of the time, prior to the Ecclesiological movement. There is no chancel and the liturgical emphasis, typically, was on the west-gallery and the pulpit. Originally, the vast space was filled with box pews, being replaced in the late 1800s with bench-seating, those benches being cleared and the interior filled with modern chairs in recent years. 

The church is orientated north-south and the challenge of the heavily sloping churchyard was overcome by Pritchett & Watson by incorporating a half-basement for a Sunday school at the south (liturgical-east) end. The structure replaced an earlier chapel on this site and Earl Fitzwilliam, upon whose land it was built, apparently wished for a clock to be north facing so that it could be seen from his property.

The west porch contains apparently original decorative woodwork, including wainscoting and doors. Sections of wooden tracery from the original reredos has, in recent re-ordering, been installed over the royal arms on the west gallery. The porch also contains benefaction boards from the earlier chapel.


  • St. Mary's Church Greasbrough (Graham White - 2021)
    Image: St. Mary's Church Greasbrough (Graham White - 2021)


  • St. Mary's Church Greasbrough (Graham White - 2021)
    Image: St. Mary's Church Greasbrough (Graham White - 2021)


  • St. Mary's Church Greasbrough (Graham White - 2021)
    Image: St. Mary's Church Greasbrough (Graham White - 2021)


  • St. Mary's Church Greasbrough (Graham White - 2021)
    Image: St. Mary's Church Greasbrough (Graham White - 2021)


  • St. Mary's Church Greasbrough (Graham White - 2021)
    Image: St. Mary's Church Greasbrough (Graham White - 2021)