Saltmarshe Hall


Saltmarshe Hall, Saltmarshe, Howden, East Riding of Yorkshire

The hall itself was designed by Pritchett and Watson for Philip Saltmarshe and completed in 1828. Its original estimated cost was £5,650.

Pevsner described the hall as an austere neoclassical house in an attractive setting on the River Ouse. In 1840, Pritchett completed the two-storey stable block, comprising an apsidal ice house, the entrance to which is off the first-floor landing of the stable block. 

The ice house and stables are now converted to guest bedrooms on the first floor with ground-keepers workshops below.


  • Saltmarshe Hall
    Image: Credit: Robert Andrews, 2020


  • Saltmarshe Hall
    Image: Credit: Robert Andrews, 2020


  • Saltmarshe Hall Stables and Ice House
    Image: Credit: Robert Andrews, 2020